The tale of two chick planning their trip to Italy and Greece and all our other adventures along the way.

2 Chicks

2 Chicks

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tulsa

A Wicked Experience

This Saturday I spent the day in downtown Tulsa, OK with a friend.  We had tickets to see this show!

We've been waiting 3 years!

We started out for Tulsa around 8ish that morning from Valarie's home in Fort Smith, Ar.  Fort Smith is just across the state line from Poteau, OK where I'm based, and about two hours from Tulsa.

We had originally planned to stop in a town just off of interstate 40 for a big cup of Joe from a local coffee shop.  Unfortunately, the coffee shop was closed due to the holiday weekend. :-(
This would be the first of many unfortunate coffee runs that day.  So we grabbed a quick breakfast sandwich from a local drive-in and got back on the road.

The show was being performed at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center, which is located in downtown Tulsa.  We were the first patrons to arrive for the matinee -because it was 11 in the morning- so we were able to park in a prime spot for getting quickly out.

We spoke with the parking attendant about the best places to eat in the area and she had many suggestions for us.  However, I have been spending a lot of time researching the thriving downtown districts in Tulsa ( that's another blog altogether) and I had read about this particular restaurant that I had been wanting to try, and as soon as Val show it, she
was all in.

We decided to leave the car parked where it was and walk to the deli, which is located in the
Blue Dome District.


Just a few doors down from the deli was this Fleet Feet, so we popped in for a quick look around.

 Both of us are runners (Val much more so than me) and we had been meaning to go to here for the longest time. If you are a runner anywhere in OK or AR, then you know how excited we were to finally be visiting this place.





Dilly's Deli serves brunch on the weekends, so we opted for half orders of French toast. 
I took a bite of mine before remembering to get a shot, so this is Val's
Of course, I had a mimosa with mine, but failed to take a photo of that as well!
The food was great and the atmosphere even better.  I highly recommend you go here for brunch if you are ever in the area.






After brunch we hit the the streets back towards the PAC for some additional exploring. We stopped into a few local shops and I found some gifts!

 early Christmas shopping score!
 



You will never guess who I found when we walked inside the PAC! It is most definitely a small world after all!


My MIL




Finally it was show time
 
 


This was my first Broadway musical and, dare I say, it will not be my last. I had an amazing time!

Obligatory musical poster photo-op





After the show we went in search of some much needed coffee.  The Gypsy Coffee House is also in the BDD, and another place I had been dying to scope out.  They had hot and iced coffee but not the blended that my friend was really craving.
So since we were getting hungry, we decided on water and some sandwiches 

They were so large that we could only eat half!


 TGCH was another great visit in the BBD.




It was getting into the early evening so we decided to start back home.  We figured we could easily find a coffee house off of the interstate.  We took one exit to a place that had closed two hours before, and another exit to a large shopping center.  NO COFFEE HOUSE THERE!!!  We finally pulled onto the Target lot and, hoping they would have a Starbucks, headed inside.  Guess what! They had a Starbucks!
I have never in my life had so much difficulty finding a frozen coffee.

Maybe I should have titled this blog post "The Great Coffee Search!".




Have you ever been to a Broadway musical?  On Broadway or on tour?

No comments:

Post a Comment